Friday, July 11, 2014

Scrapbook Herringbone on Canvas

I got this idea from this site for "Herringbone Wall Art".  I was actually looking for ideas to use all the extra scrapbook paper I had around the house.  I have tons of it because I had visions of making pretty things and decorating scrapbooks, etc.  But then I realized quickly that having the paper doesn't mean you have the ability to put things together.  I also refused to buy various paper cutters, stamps, and embellishments that seem to actually be needed.  So I hit up Pinterest and found all kinds of stuff to do with scrapbook paper.  Otherwise it was going to be used by the seven and five year old or donated to Goodwill.  I am tired of toting this stuff all over the country.  

Here is my result:


My daughter is into Anime and Asian themed items so I found a stash of scrapbook paper with that theme.  I have absolutely NO clue why I have this paper.  I have never been to Asia and yet I have an entire pack of Asian themed scrapbook paper.  You may not be able to see it well, but it has Asian characters/letters, fans, dragons, etc.  It's actually really pretty.  She loved it so I guess it's a win.  My son asked for something for his room, but I think I am going to try silhouettes of shapes with him.  Maybe sports or animals.  Not sure yet. 

I won't steal the thunder of the Burlap and Blue page by giving play by play directions with pictures.  But for a quick start guide: 

I cut the 1.5 x 4 strips and laid them on the canvas to see where I wanted them.  I didn't do too much for a pattern, just making sure that two alike pieces weren't next to one another.  

Then I picked them up one by one and painted Mod Podge on the canvas and stuck the paper to it.  Then I did a layer across the top of the entire canvas.  That's it.  

What I wish I had done differently:  

1. I didn't cut the edge pieces as neatly as I should have so I had to try to cut them AFTER it was glued down.  Don't do that.  Mod Podge makes the paper even harder and it was a mess.  

2. I switched from an X-Acto knife to scissors halfway through and I think some of my pieces ended up being slightly different sizes.  That left me switching out pieces as I did the layout because some of them were huge and didn't fit. 

3. I think Mod Podge is better applied with something OTHER than the paintbrush that I used.  That or I am really bad at Mod Podge...not sure which but painting has always been difficult for me.  I have learned through trial and error that some things need sponge type brushes, etc.  


No comments:

Post a Comment