Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Homemade Kettle Corn

I only recently discovered Kettle Corn in the past few years. I had heard of it and seen it at fairs and carnivals but for some reason never tasted it. Then I tried some and WOW!   But like many good foods trying to find some that taste authentic can be tricky. There are microwave versions in stores but I don't like them. One brand that I usually trust for microwave popcorn failed miserably with their kettle corn because it used sucralose. Some people don't mind artificial sweeteners but I can taste them. So I was determined to find my own recipe. Here's what I found:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unpopped kernels
Popcorn salt

Directions: 
Using a big pot, heat the cooking oil on medium heat. I found a good way to figure out when the popcorn is hot enough: put three popcorn kernels in the oil and when all three have popped, the oil is ready.
Mix the sugar and kernels into the oil and put a top on the pot. (This keeps oil and popcorn from jumping out on you.)
Here's where it gets a little tedious. You can't let the pot stay on the heat for too long. If you do the popcorn will burn and no one likes the smell of burned popcorn.  So you have to alternate leaving it on the heat and taking it off. I do it in intervals of five to seven seconds.  So five seconds on the heat and then I take it off and shake it for five seconds. Repeat this until it seems like most or all the kernels are cooked. The popcorn has to be shaken consistently because if it stays in one place for too long it burns. Shaking the pot also makes sure that all the kernels get sugar and oil on them as they pop.
Then carefully pour the popcorn into a bowl. It will be extremely hot so I suggest a metal bowl or something that can withstand heat. Then sprinkle the popcorn salt on top and shake it around. (How much popcorn salt is truly a personal preference.  I just do a little at a time until it tastes good.)
So that's my method. It may take some tweaking because stove heat can differ and how long the pot stays on the burner can change a lot.

Tips and tricks from doing this recipe:
While the pot is on the heat, I lift the top a little. Don't lift it so much that the popcorn pops out but just enough to let some smoke out. I've found that otherwise the grease gets too hot and sometimes this can burn the popcorn.
Put the salt on AS SOON AS you pour the cook popcorn into a bowl. Because of the sugar it will stick together. It's easily pulled apart, but putting the salt on as soon as you pour it in keeps you from having to do this later while pulling it apart.
Let it cool a bit before tasting it.  Trust me on this one.
Don't double this recipe. I tried that once or twice and it was a big smoky mess. If you want two batches just do one and then another.

No comments:

Post a Comment